I'm chillin' back in Antigua for the afternoon, before heading to Guatemala City to spend the night near the airport.... my flight home leaves at 7:30 tomorrow morning. The shuttle from Xela to Antigua was interesting.... often I've traveled this route at night, but today I got to see all the sights, which included loads of country folk in indigenous dress doing their thing - carrying wood or heavy cultivating implements, the women carrying huge baskets on their heads, brightly colored clothing, on both men and women - this is an amazing place. The cultivated areas on the hillsides and mountain sides are huge, and it's all done pretty much by hand. The large forests and volcanoes everywhere are indeed a sight to behold.
It was sad leaving the family and the new friends I made at the school. I had actually become quite comfortable in Xela, which many people don't, because after all it is a big, noisy smelly city, albeit a rather run-down colonial-looking one. But I'm ready to come home, and I think my wife might be looking for me, too.
I'm just going to post some leftover pictures, not fitting into any category, although many are of the family (the kids mostly!). If any of you have any questions about Guatemala, or think you might want to go there sometime, contact me ..... I'd love to talk about it!!
Take care,
Randy

1 comment:
I finally got around to looking at your blog again. What a great trip! Thank you for sharing it.
Post a Comment